Tips to Conduct Interviews for Your PhD Dissertation
To write the PhD dissertation, you will have to gather data. There are two ways to gather the data for your PhD dissertation. These two research methodologies are qualitative research methodology and quantitative research methodology. You will have to select one of them. If you have selected qualitative research methodology to gather the data, you will have to gather the data from primary resources like interviews. While interviewing to gather the data for your PhD dissertation, you should follow some essential tips. These tips are explained below by a PhD dissertation writing services form;
Things To Do Before The Interview:
Before conducting the interview, you will have to prepare for it. Some essential things to do before conducting the interview are given below;
- You should immediately contact with the interviewee. Its reason is that you can’t interview a person without fixing a meeting with him. While arranging the date and time for the interview, you should be courteous and flexible.
- When you are fixing the date and time for the interview, you should also discuss the purpose of the interview. You should tell the interviewee either you will have to present this information as an anonymous candidate or you will have to attribute this information with the interviewer.
- If you are arranging a face-to-face interview, you should select a comfortable place. The office of the interview will be the best place. Anyhow, you can also interview in a hotel.
- You should prepare a list of the questions that you will have to ask during the interview. For this reason, you should research your topic. You can also send these interview questions to the interviewee in advance. If you send him these interview questions in advance, he can prepare for the interview in a better way.
- You should make sure that your questions should be short and clear. You should select such interview questions which require a precise and clear answer. You should not select such interview questions whose answers are in ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
- After preparing a list of the interview questions, you should carefully arrange these questions. After carefully arranging these questions, you can easily tailor the information.
- You should arrange a tape recorder to record the interview. Its reason is that while conducting the interview, you can’t write all the points.
Things To Do During The Interview:
After preparing yourself for the interview, you should reach the decided destination before the time. While conducting the interview, you should follow these essential tips;
- You should show courtesy and friendly nature while greeting with the interviewee. This thing will be helpful to you to gather the best possible information from the interviewee.
- While asking the questions, you should note the main points of the interview. You should also make sure that you have turned on the tape recorder. Its reason is that tape recorder will record the full conversation during the interview. After the interview, you can use it to extract the information.
- Before turning on the recording device, you should get permission from the interviewee. If he is agreed, you can turn on it. If he is not agreed, you should not record the interview. Under such a situation, you will have to take the notes carefully. Its reason is that if you have missed something, you can’t get an idea about it.
- You should be relaxed during the interview. Its reason is that you have conducted enough research about the topic. It means that you know the background of the topic. When the interviewee is providing answers to the interview questions, you should enjoy it. You should also give respect to the valuable time of the interviewee. Therefore, you should ask follow-up questions to save time.
Things To Do After The Interview:
After conducting the interview, you should follow these tips to gather and arrange the information;
- After conducting the interview, you should try to transcribe the recording device. If you have not recorded the interview, you should take an overview of the notes. These notes will provide you with an idea either you have written all the main points or not. If you have missed something in the notes, you should immediately note it.
- After conducting the interview, you should thank the person. You can also thank the person by sending him the thanks note or email.
- You should also try to cite this interview properly. You can do it by following your documentation style.
- After completing your PhD dissertation, you should send a copy to the interviewee. You should also try to send another thank note to him.